Revitalizing Main Street
8-1/2" x 11", softcover,
Revitalizing Main Street provides a detailed framework for downtown growth and development.
Short on theory and long on practical approaches and useful examples, this comprehensive handbook covers virtually all aspects of downtown revitalization from developing a mission statement to bringing new businesses downtown to streetscape improvements.
For ease of use, the handbook is organized into four major sections which cover:
- Organization — focusing on strategies for getting stakeholders to work toward the same goal and for assembling the appropriate people and financial resources to implement your program.
- Promotion — covering best practices for creating a positive image of the downtown area to encourage consumers and investors to live, work, shop, play, and invest.
- Design — focusing on creating an inviting atmosphere, through facade, streetscape and other design improvements as well as ongoing maintenance of the downtown area.
- Economic Restructuring — detailing approaches to strengthening the competitiveness of existing businesses, recruiting new businesses, and converting unused or underused space to more productive uses.
All of this is accomplished in 22 detailed chapters, each of which is enhanced with case studies of these approaches in action in communities around the country.
The table of contents provides a glimpse into the breadth and depth of this practical new handbook, which is certain to become required reading for all downtown leaders.
Table of Contents
(Click here to view complete table of contents.)
1. Why Main Street Matters
2. How the Main Street Approach Works
3. Planning Main Streets Work
4. Running a Community-Driven Program
5. Financing Main Street Revitalization
6. Funding Mechanisms for Main Street
7. Promoting the Main Street Program
8. Effective Advocacy for Main Street Programs
- Economic Restructuring
9. Improving Commercial Dynamics
10. Real Estate and the Main Street Business District
11. Visual Merchandising: Building the Main Street Experience
12. Improving Appearances
13. Historic Preservation Tools
14. Revitalization and Sustainability
15. Public Improvements
16. Master Planning: Advancing the Future for Main Street Communities
17. Zoning and Other Land-Use Regulatory Tools
18. Managing Traffic on Main Street
19. Parking on Main Street
20. Clean and Safe Main Street Districts
21. Promotion: Building Excitement
22. Heritage Tourism: Capitalizing on Not Being AnyPlace, USA
Your Guarantee of Satisfaction
Revitalizing Main Street is guaranteed. If you are not 100% satisfied, you may return it within 30 days for a full refund.
About the Author
Project editor, Andrea Dono has assembled a team of 16 experts to contribute to this volume. They are subject area specialists at the National Trust Main Street Center, consultants and Main Street managers from around the country.