A New Approach to Revitalizing
Small- and Medium-City Downtowns
7" x 10", softcover,
Resilient Downtowns details innovative and successful approaches that small and mid-sized cities have used to revitalize their core downtown areas.
While the downtown success stories of large cities have been well documented, those of smaller communities are less well-known. With this in mind, author Michael A. Burayidi focuses on small and mid-sized cities.
As a professor of urban planning, Burayidis work is thoroughly researched and documented yet accessable and easy to apply.
He explores how 14 representative downtowns have weathered economic boom and bust, and details many of the approaches they have in common. These include:
- Fostering residential development,
- Retaining and expanding civic and cultural functions,
- Attracting immigrants,
- Linking historic preservation with cultural and heritage tourism, and
- Implementing smart urban design practices.
The rationale for each strategy is carefully documented and detailed examples are provided from the 14 downtowns. Additional material is also available at the companion website.
Table of Contents
- Bringing Downtowns Back to Life
- Regional and Historical Context of the Resilient Downtowns
- Cultivating Downtown Living
- Courting New Immigrants
- Downtowns as Civic and Cultural Centers
- Historic Preservation and Heritage Tourism
- Designing Resilient Downtowns
- Economic Distress and Downtown Revitalization
- Downtown Alive!
The featured downtowns
- Charlottesville, VA
- Chico, CA
- Fort Collins, CO
- Greenville, SC
- Hendersonville, NC
- Holland, MI
- Lafayette, IN
- Mansfield, OH
- Middletown, CT
- Nacogdoches, TX
- Ripon, WI
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Santa Fe, NM
- Wilmington, DE
Your Guarantee of Satisfaction
Resilient Downtowns is guaranteed. If you are not 100% satisfied, you may return it within 30 days for a full refund.
About the Author
Michael A. Burayidi is Irving Distinguished Professor and Chair of the Department of Urban Planning at Ball State University, Indiana. He is also author of Downtowns: Revitalizing the Centers of Small Urban Communities.