Marketing an Image for Main Street
8-1/2" x 11", softcover, 113 pages, Main Street Center, $33.
Marketing an Image for Main Street has been used in thousands of downtowns across the country.
Its broad scope provides both the novice and the experienced marketer with a solid background in all aspects of launching a marketing program: from determining the downtown brand, to creating a range of marketing programs that build on and support the brand.
The authors organize the often unwieldy job of marketing the downtown area into five basic steps:
Step one: Develop a strategic market position for the downtown area.
Step two: Move from market position to downtown brand — the words, images and perceptions people will associate with your downtown.
Step three: Incorporate the downtown brand in a consistent way through all of the materials produced by the downtown organization.
Step four: Develop special events and festivals that reflect and reinforce the downtown brand.
Step five: Develop retail activities and programs that reflect the downtown brand.
Step six: Communicate downtown progress to create a self-perpetuating cycle.
Table of Contents (partial)
- Whats in an Image?
- Who does what in image development
- How have downtowns dealt with image in the past?
- Supply and Demand
- Developing your position statement: Defining your image
- Market analysis
- Measuring sales demand
- Packaging the Image
- Brand identity
- Crafting a tagline
- Merchandising your image
- Case Study: Branding downtown Boulder
- Creating the Right Image with Graphics
- The significance of graphic design
- Uses of good graphic design
- Marketing Your Image Through Special Events
- The role of special events
- Case Study: Livermore Wine and Honey Festival
- Tapping the Customer Base
- Cooperative retail events
- Cross-retail promotions
- Individual store promotions
- Advertising fundamentals
- Creating Media Campaigns
- Press tools
- Building relationships with the press
- Sample press release
Your Guarantee of Satisfaction
Marketing an Image for Main Street is guaranteed. If you are not 100% satisfied, you may return it within 30 days for a full refund.
About the Authors
Marketing an Image for Main Street was written by a team of experts from the National Main Street Center in Washington, D.C.