Downtowns Welcome Seniors
8-1/2" x 11", softcover,
1 copy $29.95.
The nation is experiencing a fundamental population shift. An anticipated one in five Americans will be over the age of 65 by the year 2050. Downtowns can take advantage of this shift by re-envisioning the downtown to attract seniors as visitors, shoppers, and also as in-town residents.
Downtowns already have many of the key elements in place to attract seniors: compactness, essential services, and opportunities for personal contact.
But in many city centers, there is still work to be done. Downtowns Welcome Seniors looks at cities that are making strides in attracting senior residents. In particular it considers two key areas: Improvements to downtown walkability, and the adaptive reuse of older buildings for modern senior living. Both steps serve to enhance the downtown overall while welcoming seniors.
Table of Contents
- The growing senior population
- Senior housing provides benefits for many downtowns
- A walkable environment provides benefits for all
- Adaptive reuse can create appropriate senior housing
- Benefits of adaptive reuse
- Evaluating commercial buildings for residential use
- Marketing downtown to seniors
Your Guarantee of Satisfaction
Downtowns Welcome Seniors is guaranteed. If you are not 100% satisfied, you may return it within 30 days for a full refund.
About the Authors
Downtowns Welcome Seniors was researched and written by the staff of the Downtown Research & Development Center.